On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM, H. Kurth Bemis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a system, preferably small in size, as a
> replacement for a Cisco router or firewall?

  As Jarod says, the consumer bitty-boxes generally don't have the CPU
horsepower to do the crypto at reasonable speeds.  They're optimized
for lower-power and low-cost, not high performance.

  According to their website, Soekris (http://www.soekris.com/) has
bitty-boxes which have mini-PCI slots, and they sell mini-PCI crypto
coprocessor cards to go in them.  I've never touched that stuff,
though, and have no idea if that stuff is supported by anything,
though.  But that's generally how Cisco, et. al., get decent
throughput on their bitty-boxes: Low-power CPU plus a dedicated crypto
ASIC.

-- Ben