On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Bayard Coolidge wrote:
> I got a nastygram from Comcast in my normal e-mail inbox this morning,
> warning me that I was considered a spammer and/or that I had a
security
> problem caused by a virus/bot.
>
> The recommended fix apparently is to move my outbound SMTP to Port
587,
> which I have now done.
>
> But, considering that I'm running openSUSE 11.0 and Thunderbird,
download
> my e-mail using POP, and don't use any of the traditional Unix/Linux
mail
> systems, I'm wondering what their real agenda is...
>
> Or is this an artifact of the Port 25 stuff that was so heavily
discussed
> here during the summer? Maybe I've been too prolific in
forwarding .wmv's
> and other fun stuff to friends and relatives?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bayard

I had the same thing happen to me.  In my case they blocked outgoing
mail from my wife's account only, even though all of my computers go
out through the same router.

I also followed their instructions and have her sending to port 587.
She has no virus infection, maybe someone can tell me how to check for
a bot on an XP machine.

My accounts are unaffected.

--charlie