On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Bill McGonigle<b...@bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> On 07/25/2009 08:44 AM, Alan Johnson wrote:
>> But again, if I'm buying new?  Yes, Prius, Prius, Prius.
>
> Isn't the nickel mining an environmental and thermodynamic disaster?

Even taking that into account,
http://www.greenercars.org/highlights_greenest.htm lists the Prius as
the second most green vehicle.  The number one is a Civic that runs on
natural gas.  Surely, as you suggest, it is the batteries that keep it
from the top spot.  That said, there are still 4 hybrids in the top
12, and those numbers are all based on EPA efficiency standards which
are slanted against hybrids.  Smart driving improves on any EPA number
by a couple of points, but you can easily get north of 60Mpg out of a
Prius.

Of course, Lithium ION is a different story.  Worse or better in
extraction? I'm not sure, better in every other way that i know of.
Both are highly recyclable, so that helps.  Ceramic batteries are even
better and just around the corner.  Ultra capacitors are expect to be
similar but lighter, but are not so close to market ready.

> Get the Corolla and put up a wind tower or buy solar panels with the
> difference!

VT gets <5% of grid power from fossil fuel, so it is easy for me to
focus first on transportation and home heating.  NH is more like
20-25%, so that's a much tougher call.

>> For now, my dream is to build a tiny one-seater car with electric bike
>> parts and my neighbor's welding skills.  If I could get 40Mph, and
>> 20mi/charge, it would be the perfect car for my commute.
>
> The state regulations may be too onerous - how does VT fare?  Many
> states will require hydraulic brakes, windshield defrosters, airbags, etc.

Not sure on the specifics in VT, but I guess I'll have to keep it to 3
wheels so I can call it a "moto cycle" and make it REALLY dangerous.
=)

> How about "Made in China?":
>
>  http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=6238661

I like it!  But for me, enclose those sides so I can drive it in the
rain without special cloths (and get better mileage north of 45Mph)
and put some batteries in it instead of a nasty little ICE.  I wonder
what the particulate emissions are like on that thing.  I'm thinking
lawnmower.  ew.  Sure does not help much on noise pollution either.

> I understand it's hard to get parts though - a stateside dealer network
> is probably required (good opportunity?)

If it were electric, it would be easier to repair on your own.  But
for $3K?  Heck, buy 2!  ;-p