On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Neil Joseph Schelly <n...@jenandneil.com>wrote:

> I'm looking to build a small Shuttle barebone machine into a NAS running
> Linux.  The intent of the machine is to be a networked PC with lots of
> storage in a RAID array, made available over the gigabit network interface
> via Samba, NFS, and maybe iSCSI protocols.  I'm curious what experience
> others have with this sort of stuff in general, but two immediate questions
> come to mind about processor and memory performance.
>
> I can go the low-power, low-heat route and get a single-core processor and
> single memory stick of minimal quantity.  Or I can upgrade a bit, get a
> dual-core processor with 2 sticks of dual-channel memory.  Or something in
> between.  What I don't know is how much impact processor speed, multiple
> cores, memory capacity, and dual-channel memory has on disk I/O, network
> I/O,
> software RAID processing, etc.
>
> I like the idea of a small low-power, low-heat appliance, but will going
> too
> low on those negatively impact performance much?  The cost difference
> between
> a single-core processor with 1GB of memory and a dual-core processor with 2
> sticks of 1GB dual-channel memory is insignificant, so that's not much of a
> concern.
> -N

I'm running OpenSolaris on an AMD dual core 165 cpu on a 939 motherboard
with 3 GB of RAM.  It keeps up with gigabit.

I used to run Linux on a Dual PIII 500MHz with 512MB.  It maxed out at 30
MB/s.  The disks and SATA cards got put onto the current system,

It doesn't really answer your question, does it?  There is a threshhold for
matching gigabit ethernet speed though.

What's the power savings a single core will give you vs dual core?  How much
does your electricity cost?