G Rundlett <greg.rundl...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Thomas Charron <twaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone heard anything much about this 'Droid' phone?
> >
> > It's being toated as an open phone, but..  It's from Verizon.  Kinda
> > makes me wonder.
> >
> > http://phandroid.com/motorola-droid/

I asked one of my co-workers about that, the other day--since he's
been following Android (and other `open' smartphone options) in
anticipation of the upcoming end of his Verizon contract. He said,
"I've heard some news about it. I haven't heard *everything* about it,
though. It's still Verizon, so...".

He thinks /maybe/ Google is big enough to push Verizon into
relinquishing some of the control they normally want over everything,
but maybe not--the T-Mobile Android phones turned out to be not-really
all that open. Maybe there's hope in that `methods of restricting
functionality available on a smartphone' patent that Apple was seeking.

> Did you see the "Boy Genius Report"
> http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/19/motorola-droid-hands-on/
>
> On a related note, LJ just did a story on how you can check out the
> Android OS using VirtualBox
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/android-or-webos-try-you-buy

In sort-of-related news, jwz has given up on the Palm Pre, passed on
any Android phones, and just switched to the iPhone:

    http://jwz.livejournal.com/1108212.html
    ("Dear Palm, it's just not working out.")

He says, there:

    I thought about trying out an Android phone, but the reality is
    that the most positive review I've ever heard about Android was
    damning with faint praise along the lines of, "it sure does show
    the potential to someday be an iPhone competitor."

And that `Boy Genius Report' provides that same `damning faint praise':

    the most impressive phone we’ve used since the iPhone.
    It’s positively amazing

So the Droid is "positively amazing", just... not quite as amazing as
the iPhone? Otherwise it would have been something like "the most
impressive phone ever", rather than just "the most impressive phone
SINCE THE iPHONE", right?

Well, at least my FreeRunner doesn't take 40 seconds to take a picture
like jwz's Pre does... :)

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).