On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <
g...@freephile.com> wrote:

> Everyone knows you should have backups.  Still, it can be a bit of a
> challenge to setup.  Well now, it's EASY with "Back In Time".
>

> website: http://backintime.le-web.org/
>
> Back In Time is a simple point-and-click backup tool for Linux
> inspired from “flyback project” and “TimeVault”.  Currently there are
> two GUI available: Gnome and KDE 4 (>= 4.1).
>
> There are three reviews referenced on the website which illustrate the
> simple setup with screenshots.  Linux Journal's Shawn Powers did a
> video http://www.linuxjournal.com/video/who-needs-time-machine-back-time

This is a very cool, with a very sweet interface, but it is not very much of
a backup program.  It is a snapshot program, which is half of what a backup
program should be, and it is the half that is often overlooked by other
programs that call themselves backups.  The snapshotting protects you from
user error on file manipulation, but it does not protect you from file
corruption due to bad hardware, viruses (well, maybe a little if you are
lucky), or other bad software (bugs, etc).

Time Machine actually stores a copy of all the current data as well as the
snapshots on a complete separate storage system, which is how a backup
should be done.  Ideally, a backup tool should run on a separate device and
pull data from the devices that are to be backed up in a way that only it
has access too.  If you want to access your old data, this should required
special credentials not stored on the backed-up devices in anyway.  This
way, bad software has no way to access the backups to mess with them.

My understanding is that Time Machine does even do this.  Rather it is a
client that runs on the device being backed up and pushed the data to the
remote storage.

Check out backuppc (also in Ubuntu repos).  Not simple last time I looked at
it, but it is complete.  Also, rsnapshot running on a seperate device with
dedicated storage covers all the bases and is pretty easy to use if you are
OK with the command line and a little cron configging.