It's seems that some here still believe VOIP is not aot a good
alternative to having a POTS line.

I've run a consulting biz, and my home phone service, for 5 years on
pure VOIP.  I have 59s reliability, and,
in general is costs much less than the "bundled" services provided by
broadband companies.

During that 5 year period, I've gone through various ISPs, with
various last-mile technologies.   I'm currently in Nelson, and get my
broadband via WiValley.   Despite the growing pains of this infant ISP
(meaning there are some outages), if the network is up, my phone
service is up.  Though this lowers my reliability, I still contend
it's 59s because of backups to cell, etc.

(BTW, On my 5.7 GHz 1/.5 service, I can run three simultaneous calls
without issue).

I have a hosted PBX for $35/month, trunk to a GREAT inexpensive
gateway provider (voip.ms) using IAX2, and typically spend between
$5-$10 a month on DIDs and actual phone calls.   (This is North
America wide, includes some toll-free DIDs and International calls).I
don't really need the PBX, however, I do alot of development/testing
work on it.   With an IAX ATA, such as the Digium IAXy or the cheap
China knockoff, you can have a reliable IAX2 connection to a provider
like voip.ms, and it will be rock solid

If you are a business relying on incoming calls for direct sales, I'd
go with a redundant broadband provider (like DSL/Cable) plus VOIP via
a gateway provider.   The cost of the redundancy will still be cheaper
than Fairpoint charges for Business land line/long distance. (I will
say, however, that the prices for traditional T1 trunks have been
coming way down - -as they should be.)  However, if it's FairPoint
providing the last mile... it's not for me.

YMMV,

Gerry