One intriguing characteristic of short messages is that it forces
non-live discussion into a give-and-take mode resembling live
conversation rather than the lecture-followed-by-q&a mode characteristic
of blogs and most email.

I've been playing with the notion of writing a plugin for Firefox or
Chrome that tracks the size of emails I'm writing in tweets (SMS
160-character units) and slowly changes my screen background from white
via various shades of pink and salmon to a very angry shade of red as
the tweet-count increases, in order to curb my habit of putting every
thought I have on a topic into every communication. :)

I'm bracing myself to encounter widespread encouragement from those who
have read my prior posts to this list or have the misfortune of being in
my address book.  ;)

Ralph