Bill McGonigle <b...@bfccomputing.com> writes:

> On 03/31/2010 07:22 PM, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> > Something which I've long thought should be done but which no
> > mainstream OS GUI I've seen does well is increasing screen resolution
> > to increase quality of rendering while keeping the human information
> > density per inch around the same
[...]
> It was more than 5 years ago that IBM was demo'ing 200dpi LCD screens.
> But it's not surprising to me that they haven't moved to production with
> them because the market still has to be really small.  Speaking of
> small, IIRC some of the higher quality handheld devices are up to
> 170-ish dpi.

My FreeRunner runs at ~280 DPI; I think Nokia's N800, N810, and N900
are all somewhat below that, but are still all above 200 DPI.

The only problems that I've had with the ~280-DPI resolution on the
FreeRunner are with web pages (px are too small in absolute terms,
pt are too big for the small screen) and with pre-rendered tiles
from OpenStreetMap; the former is handled by putting constraints
on the permissiable font-sizes, and I've been able to handle
the latter by patching TangoGPS to process the tiles into having
a lower detail-density.