On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Jeffry Smith <jsm...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> >  The USPS *does* receive subsidies -- some Federal tax dollars go to
> > support it (or did, last I knew).  That's something else entirely.
> >
> Not for years  - that's one of their problems in that they have to
> both deliver anywhere and avoid a debt (not necessarily make a
> profit).
>
>   This is untrue.  They place the subsidy in the form of appropriations.
Specifically, the Federal government 'buys' a part of the USPS every year.
Recently, this is specifically why the USPS didn't stop delivery of mail of
Saturdays, as they had planned to.  A simple search for 'appropriations' and
USPS will find tens of thousands of references to appropriations bills for
every year.  750 million to buy new trucks is a subsidy if you ask me.