On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> re [ThinkGeek] bluetooth retro handset
>> I have one.  Audio quality sucks, unfortunately.
>
> That's more or less true with much of Bluetooth telephonic (as opposed to
> stereo) audio.

  Perhaps so.  Sturgeon's law.  I was still disappointed.  ThinkGeek
should know their customer base better.  Geeks are less likely to
accept crap when they it could be done better, and TG is certainly
willing to charge a premium for quality on other items.

  I have a Plantronics Voyager Pro which I'm quite happy with.  Audio
is good even in the noisy factory areas at work.  Strong wind against
the mic boom can be an issue, but turning my head or shielding it with
my hand works (and tends to not work with cheaper models). It had
something like Jabra's "ear gels" which fit nicely.  That fell off and
got lost a couple months ago, and it's actually not too bad with just
the plastic nub, although I want to find a replacement.  But it seems
stores don't stock replacement gels, which I find stupid.  I've been
meaning to check their website.

  My biggest beef with Bluetooth headsets is that they almost never
have user replaceable batteries.  It's hard to justify spending for
quality with the device is guaranteed to die after a year or two or
regular usage.  Granted, the small size makes this a challenge, but
it's hardly an insurmountable problem.

> He said Jarbra BT850 was the only one that would suit me. Love it. Not sure
> what if any current part# is equivalent.

  I loved my old Jabra wireline earpiece -- it had very good audio
quality without any kind of mic boom or ear loop -- but apparently
they don't do that style anymore.

  We tried a Jabra BT5020 for a desk application at work.  Audio
quality was mediocre.

  I don't like Jabra as much as I used to.

-- Ben