On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 05:48:15PM -0400, Michael ODonnell wrote:

> I wrote:
> >We want to monitor (from a central server at HQ) the health and
> >performance status of multiple machines [mostly Windows >-( ] at
> >each of multiple customer sites despite them being NAT'd/firewalled.
>
> ...and then mentioned a bunch of features we're dreaming about.
>
> A more specific question: does anybody even know of a package that
> can do "passive monitoring"?

Nagios can do this.  We monitor a dozen or so remote sites at work where
they are small networks NAT'ed behind a single IP.  Nagios runs out of cron
on the workstations/servers at those locations and reports back to our main
Nagios server.

-b

--
half a man's life is devoted to what he calls improvements, yet the
original had some quality which is lost in the process.