Benjamin Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> writes:

> > >  Am I right in that this thing cannot run an X server?
> >
> >   It presents a framebuffer, so I see no reason why it couldn't
> > except for RAM.
>
>   I mean as in, "you won't find a working X server", not "sure it can,
> just write one yourself".  :)
>
>    RAM may or may not be a problem.  It's got 32 MB, which is more
> than anything Project Athena had at first, but software seems to take
> up more and more memory as times goes on.  Maybe swapping to flash?

Maybe.

Swapping to flash is often a more realistic option than people expect--
partly because modern flash-disks (with onboard controllers performing
wear-levelling) are *way* more resilient than people expect, and partly
because the way that swap ends up being used is vastly different from
what people expect--most notably, if there are parts of a program's
in-memory image that are rarely (or never) used, then those parts
can get swapped-out (once) to make room in RAM for disk-buffer/-cache,
and then may never be touched again.

Of course, it all depends on the program--if Xorg and whatever client
applications you want to run actually, *actively* use all of the memory
that they allocate all the time, then maybe `swap to flash' (or even
`swap' at all) isn't such a great option. One interesting thing to note,
though, is that `active' doesn't just mean `the program is running';
even if something is running, if you're not interacting with it,
and it's not doing something of its own accord, then there's a good
chance that the entire process can safely be swapped out and then
not touched until you switch back to it.

It looks like a fresh instance of Xorg occupies ~14 MB of RAM
on my laptop. Hmm....