That is what I thought, however Ctrl-Alt- plus any of the F1-7 keys get me
only a blank black screen and no prompt whatsoever.  And then, I can only do
Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get the normal window back again, with the top bar listing
Applications, Places, etc.  Strange.  Methinks the upgrade and subsequent
deleting and adding of packages and final config borked something or other.

If I could have got to the Terminal/command line I would have tried the next
logical steps but at this point I may just go back to 10.10.