David Hardy <belovedbold...@gmail.com> writes:

> On the Linux beard thing, I grew mine a couple of years ago until, as our
> son informed me, I looked like a Civil War general.  I was going to keep
> growing it until I got a full-time Linux gig finally, and a month ago I did.
>  So, as it was at the point of getting tangled in the car seatbelts and car
> doors on entering and exiting the vehicle, I trimmed it back by a few
> pounds.

I grew one starting in late 2001 or early 2002--beards were in extreme
disrepute, at that time, and needed people of good character to come
to their defense.

Regarding the `inability to grow a natural beard' issue..., I offer
for comparison... the `You must have a Moustache' requirement in
The Eric Conspiracy:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/ecsl/

Several creative workarounds are presented, including:

   Erik Rossen

   1 coolness point for being the originator and/or discoverer
   of the prenatal mustache.