Thanks, all,

I looked through the suggestions. Remote backup turned out to be something
different than what I had in mind. BackupPc is expected to sit on a centralized
server and so, it would seem, is rsnapshot, or at least rsnapshot is using
Linux file system properties to optimize storage.

I try to run my domestic LAN on a self-service basis so I don't have to come
home from a day of programming to be the domestic systems admin, i.e. the
bottleneck. I'm providing a NAS drive with private areas for the individuals in
the house. My notion is that they can use any backup tool they like locally on
their systems to push their data onto the provided NAS area. As long as the NAS
drive doesn't become inaccessible, it doesn't become my problem. :) Of course,
if they ask, I can suggest tools they might want to learn about and use. This
is very different from an office, where its somebody's job to do this stuff.

So they've got three Windows machines between them to worry about. I've got a
handful of boxes including two or three running Linux. For each Linux box, I'm
just looking for a daemon that runs as a service that does periodic incremental
backups of user data and system configuration behind the scenes, pushing the
bits to a NAS drive and using the NAS storage area to keep track of where it is
in the backup cycle. If it saves enough so I can reconstruct the system more or
less as it was if the hard drive crashes, I'm happy.

If backup (or any act of maintenance) is something I need to remember to do, it
will never happen. If it's something I can set up once and then forget about
for a few years, that'll work. I know that's not the attitude of an IT
professional, but home is where I come to leave my profession behind for a few
hours and use my computers to make art and music and stories and write essays
and plan the revolution :), using open source tools wherever I can.

Can I get rsnapshot to do the kind of thing I'm talking about without writing a
lot of additional scripting, or is there a better tool for this kind of
operation?

Ralph