My $DAYJOB has provided me with a rather capable Lenovo ThinkPad  CORE i7 W520.
rather large for the daily commute the size of the power brick is unreasonable looks like an actual
full size brick.

Never had problems running Linux on the ThinkPad products.  Unfortunately it was pre-installed with
Windows7 (32 bit), I added a VirtualBox openSUSE 586 12.1 XCFE  machine.  Intel Gigabit Network Card.

Michael Nolin
Embedded Solutions Unlimited, LLC
3 Bradford Street, Windham NH 03087
http://embedded-unlimited.com

On Thu Apr 12 14:10 , Bill Freeman sent:

My Acer is scaring me. Sometimes at startup it goes into an infinite
reboot loop. The way out seems to be to force power off, flex the
case and whack it a few times, after which it boots.

So, I'm considering replacing it. Last round I insisted on an AMD
CPU, but I'm currently drawn to an i7 or i5.

I know that lots of folks swear by the ThinkPads, and I will consider them.

I'm not really willing to consider Compaq/HP, Gateway, or Apple, and
I've found Linux on Toshiba to be troublesome in the past.

Can anyone offer personal experience stories on the Dell Inspirons?

Any additional suggestions?

Any bad experiences with the i7 CPU?

Thanks, Bill