Bill Freeman writes:

> Can anyone offer personal experience stories on the Dell Inspirons?

I've got a Dell Inspirion 1525 that I paid $400 for at the Dell
refurbished outlet (online).  The machine is 3-4 years old at this
point.  I use it for a couple of hours most days.

It's a $400 laptop.  It is cheap, but it does what I need it to do.

I've run Ubuntu on the system but I mostly run Fedora.

In terms of hardware, the touchpad can be a little bit sensitive but I
have gotten used to it.  The actual material that the laptop is
constructed from is cheap plastic and it has in fact developed a small
crack near where the power cord plugs into the laptop.  It is for this
reason that I would say that this wouldn't be a great laptop to
actually lug around on a regular basis -- this laptop wouldn't
withstand the physical wear and tear.  The screen itself is glossy ; I
wish it was matte but I rarely use this thing in situations with lots
of glare.

In related news, I note that Woot is selling some Lenovo Thinkpad
today.

Hope this helps,

--kevin
--
alumni.unh.edu!kdc / http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E

And the Army Ants, they leave nothin' but the bones...
   -- Tom Waits