On Sun, 13 May 2012 23:28:05 -0400
"James A. Kuzdrall" <gnh...@intrel.com> wrote:

>     I have had several USB to RS232 to serial modem setups within the last 5
> years, and none of them worked very well.  (We have 3 computers on dialup.)
> I also used a number of PCMCIA cards.  They run hot, and I now have 3 of them
> that are dead or partially working.

As one of those coincidences, I'm currently working with a piece of lab gear
(a vector network analyzer) which communicates with its controlling PC via
...serial.

Which works fine. RS-232, nine-pin plugs, even runs under KVM.

When I bought it the manufacturer offered that "it *can* be made to work with
USB-to-serial adapters, some of our customers have done it". Their wiki filled
in what they didn't say -- that not a few of their customers couldn't get
certain
adapters to work, the drivers crashed, one chipset would not work and another
chipset would work, etc.

My .02 would be that "real" serial is the way to go if you can. (Fortunately all
of my PCs are of such a vintage that they *have* serial ports  [they mostly have
floppy drives, too...]  :)

-Bill

_______
Sent from my virusproofed Linux PC