Mark Komarinski writes:

> HPN SSH (patches to boost ssh performance) allows for no encryption
> of the data stream but IIRC the authentication is encrypted.  That
> doesn't bypass authentication so this may not be related

The following statement is based on my experience with these patches:
I didn't notice much of a difference from these patches when I was
copying a certain {large-ish, constantly updating} file from a site on
the West Coast to a site in NH.

I probably had around 100 samples in my data-set, and I just didn't
see a difference.  All of these samples related to "scp" operations
that were occurring over the public Internet.  I tried as much as
possible to perform my experiments during times of the day in which
the network was quiet (but this was/is a crapshoot on the general
Internet, of course).

I had high-hopes for these patches....specifically the parts of the
patches that did things with increasing buffer sizes.  If I could have
gotten this particular file to arrive in NH a bit faster this would
have made my work a bit easier.

Like I said, this is just my experience with these patches.

Regards,

--kevin
--
alumni.unh.edu!kdc / http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E

And the Army Ants, they leave nothin' but the bones...
   -- Tom Waits