A lot depends on what kind of camera you are using.

My arduino hack that Ted pointed to worked great driving a Sony Alpha DSLR
and would likely work with similar DSLRs with some tweaking.  It would
require cutting up a shutter release cord ($10?)  Last I looked gphoto2
didn't support pulling images from my camera model, so you may need a way
to manually get the images.

As many have said, driving a USB webcam is pretty simple and probably your
best bet.   If you want to spend ~$50(?) get a Raspberry Pi, the camera
attachment w/ extra long ribbon. That works great for me. The RPi3 has
wifi, so just provide power and some scripting to take the image and push
it somewhere for processing.  The RPi3 is probably powerful enough to
collect images and create periodic timelapse videos.

Depending on your bandwidth, you could have the RPi just livestream
directly to youtube.  It isn't a timelapse, but does let you keep an eye on
something and can go back and review anything missed.  I did that for a
couple snow storms last April.  Very simple scripting to set it all up.

-marc

Marc Nozell (m...@nozell.com) http://www.nozell.com/blog