I don't know, but getrandom() may well be using /dev/urandom (or a related
facility).  And that, in turn, might be waiting to "collect sufficient
entropy".  So some network traffic, keystrokes, whatever, need to happen
between boot time and the first random emission, or that first "random"
number becomes predictable.  Since random numbers are often used
cryptographically, predictability is a bad thing.

As to why ruby is designed to require a random number before being asked to
do something dependent on such a random number is a question for the ruby
developers.

Re-linking /dev/urandom will probably break lots of things.  Maybe run your
script in a chroot jail that has a different /dev/urandom could work.

Is your script too complex to rewrite in bash?  Not a general solution, but
as a workaround it has its appeal.