Oops, I didn't see Ken's reply where he already figure this out (spotty cell
service).

Where I work we were having this issue when bringing up new VMs. While
provisioning, it would seem to just hang for 10 or 15 minutes when installing
packages. No cpu usage, no disk io, no network io.  And every time you'd ssh in
to the VM to run top, it'd start going again. Very frustrating.  Simply
installing haveged first fixed the issue.

-Dennis