What sort of VPN is it? e.g.: OpenVPN, Wireguard, IPSec...?

And have you installed either resolvconf (which is Suggested by the openvpn
package, but not required)
or openresolv (which is supposed to be a better, generally compatible,
replacement for resolvconf)?

On 1/8/20 2:37 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hey, all.  When I fire up my VPN, it re-writes my /etc/resolv.conf.
> Shocker.  But I *want* it to, because then all my DNS stuff is good for
> my company.  But it's NOT good for my personal domain.  I'd like to have
> that added to the search domains.  I'm in Ubuntu; not sure if that
> matters.  From my reading:
> * I can the search domains on a per-interface manner, but that seems
> hokey, and subject to issues if I use something (e.g., Bluetooth) to be
> my conduit to the 'Net.
> * /etc/resolv.conf shouldn't be manually modified as it'll just get
> overwritten (and I don't want to make it immutable because I want it to
> change depending on whether I'm using VPN or no)
> * /etc/dhclient/dhclient.conf (apparently) doesn't matter any more if
> you're running NetworkManager
>
> So, my question: is there an elegant, global way to set/append to my DNS
> domain search list?  Or am I just gonna wind up writing a daemon to wham
> an resolv.conf in-place depending on the current network config?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ken

Connect with me on the GNU social network!
<https://status.hackerposse.com/rozzin>
Not on the network? Ask me for more info!