Yet you might think that since many, many people pay off mortgages or pay
off mortgages on sales of property every single year that they might have
it down to a science by now.   It is not like I am the first mortgage that
has been paid off in the past 30 years......

Maddog, I totally agree with you.  I was astonished and more than a little
annoyed that it took so long.  You'd think it was the first time (every
time!).  Apparently the banks aren't too innovative in this respect...
-Bruce