On 5/3/21 2:48 PM, Tom Buskey wrote:
I remember FlexFAX / HylaFax on Irix back in the day.

Nowadays, some internet service or the aforementioned shipping/printing centers.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 2:09 PM Bruce Labitt <bruce.lab...@myfairpoint.net <mailto:bruce.lab...@myfairpoint.net>> wrote:

    On 5/3/21 1:16 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Mon, May 3, 2021 1:01 pm, Bruce Labitt wrote:
    >> Not sure if this is a unicorn or it is common.  A simple search
    gave
    >> ambiguous results.  I'm looking for some program that will send
    a pdf
    >> file to a remote FAX machine.  I don't have a fax machine
    anymore.  I
    >> don't have a fax modem.  It's hard to remember how long ago
    that was
    >> even a thing...
    > Do you have a VOIP line?  If so, you can set up Asterisk to send
    a Fax
    > over SIP.  You do need to (manually) convert the PDF to a proper
    TIFF file
    > and then *that* gets sent.  I can give you more details if you
    have the
    > VOIP support, otherwise there's not much point in explaining the
    configs
    > and scripts.
    >
    >> I can solve this problem in a different way, but wondering if
    there was
    >> such a beast.  Thanks.
    > -derek

    Well technically, I'd think it was VOIP.  All my service comes over
    fiber.  There's no POTS line to the house, just a single
    non-conducting
    fiber.

    At the moment, this appears to be bigger PIA than necessary. I'll
    just
    toss the thing in the mail.  Yes, snail mail...  Oh well.

I have an HP Office Jet Pro which has a phone port which I can connect to a port on my cable modem. It allows me to send and receive faxes without a problem. You have to first configure the printer for use as a fax.

Don Leslie