On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Ted Roche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Two agenda items come to mind right away: I can update folks on my
> initial meeting with the Franklin Pierce Law Center intern helping us
> with 501(c)(3) status. We can discuss the proposed Ubuntu SIGs.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Jon 'maddog' Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As a member of the leadership of the group (as it were) I would support
> using this occasion to formulate the necessary procedures to create
> SIGs.

I'm not a board member, but this seems like a more prudent agenda item.  Not
saying I wouldn't like to see the Ubuntu SIG discussed, but I can see the
fear of there being a rush to form new SIGs be a barrier for it.

Obviously (in my mind) one of the requirements would be people willing to
commit the time and energy towards getting it started, perhaps 3
"SIG/Chapter Officers" at minimum using what I've seen from the PySIG
leadership (seems to be 3-4 people doing most of the work).

Formalized, this would pre-filter requests that don't have sufficient member
support to be workable as a group.  This turns it into primarily bottom-up
organizing, "what are people interested in doing", rather than top-down
"what we think would be a good idea to form".

Also, SIGs/Chapters could be started as independent groups who then request
to become part of GNHLUG after they've successfully formed, have 3 officers
already active, and have had a few successful meetings.