If you are installing the system using dynamic IP addresses (DHCP or
BOOTP), then yes, pump would be running. Pump took the place of dhcpc as
of RH 6.1 I believe. And, yes, there are problems with pump. Not just in
RH6.1, but in 6.0 as well. In a few docs that I have read, it is highly
recommended that you remove pump and install the latest version of
dhcpc.
Kenny