Well...  Slackware is the oldest extant distribution.  It's really kinda
nifty -- brings you back to the "old days" of Linux, though I admit I
haven't used it since 3.3 or 3.4.  I used to be a huge Slackware fan, but,
slowly, came about to the dark side of package managers (Slackware's
"packages" are gzipped tarballs -- works fine for install, but
dependencies and uninstall were something else again).  As for "getting"
distributions, the place to go is CheapBytes: www.cheapbytes.com -- they
sell distributions for cost of shipping, media, handling, and a few extra
bucks -- Mandrake 7.2, for example, runs for $4 (+ S&H) and Debian is
$9.99.  (No support, of course -- that's what you pay for when you buy the
pretty package...)  All things being equal, this beats the pants off of
downloading Slackware one disk at a time over the ol' 14.4 modem.  From a
recent posting on a BBS I hang out on, here's a light-hearted, but
more-or-less accurate description of various distributions and *nix OSes:

NetBSD -- "Of COURSE it runs NetBSD"
FreeBSD -- "screw the other architectures, let's make it SCREAM on Intel"
OpenBSD -- "fourteen centuries without a remote exploit!" or whatever

Slackware -- "The Grumpy Old Man" -- "in MY day we didn't have any fancy
schmancy packaging formats, we used GZIPPED TAR, with 8.2 filenames, so we
could fit it on a DOS FLOPPY, and we LIKED IT DAMMIT!

Debian -- the elegant idealist distribution, perfectionists, downside
being they're kind of in their own world and they are the last to add
newfangled stuff

RedHat -- "The Microsoft of Linux, but in a good way."

Mandrake -- "Redhat cleaned up, dressed nicely, and presentable to your
mother."

SuSe Linux -- Like a Volvo, each is Scandinavian in origin and has solid,
sturdy fundamentals, but combine reliability with performance and some
luxurious appointments which make it a pleasure to run.

Corel Linux -- The Teletubbie of the linux world.  Limited so users can't
screw it up.

             - Misc. users of Unix> forum on ISCA BBS, whip.isca.uiowa.edu

-Ken