On 05/03/18 15:32, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Bastien Nocera, on lun. 05 mars 2018 15:21:47 +0100, wrote:
>> Perhaps, but you'd be doing a disservice to your users trying to
>> implement this as a "can run anywhere" solution. I don't think there's
>> any way you can implement this generically so that there's no work
>> needed on other desktops.
>>
>> Implementing this in GTK+ and gnome-shell gives you the opportunity to
>> experiment with an interface that should hopefully be applicable to
>> other compositors, and compositing window managers.
> It looks like there is a misunderstanding.
>
> I'm not saying that it has to be completely external to gtk and its
> compositor. I'm saying that it has to be not only internal to gtk and
> its compositor. The gnome desktop can be a testbed, sure, I'm just
> saying that we have to keep in mind to have a generic interface that can
> be implemented by other widget libraries, and used by other compositors.

And related to misunderstandings and generic interfaces:

That generic interface is what I asked you, and you replied with a
really Gtk-tied API. I think that you misunderstood my question, and
replied with the API that your zoom application is using. But I will try
again.

Lets say that we have a zoom application. And a specific application
that you want to get zoomed. You originally asked if it would be
possible to add a generic API on at-spi to do that. So my question is:
do you have an approximate idea of that generic API to be included on
at-spi that any toolkit could implement?

Having said so, right now Im biased for what other people is already
saying. There are already one compositor with a zoom feature,
gnome-shell. It is true that  it is not "Zoom perfect", but it is really
well integrated with gnome libraries, included gtk+. So I would try to
check there first. After all, as Emmanuele said, the compositor can say
to the toolkit to render on different scaling factors (AFAIU, thats the
basis of hdpi). Although your question if if it possible to change the
scaling factor in-the-fly is good too.

FWIW, I'm not saying that we should force ourselves for that case. Just
saying that seems the best candidate to see how things should be done,
in order to have a good idea of how it could be expressed in a generic way.

BR