Michael Catanzaro commented:

> I find it hard to believe you don't know security implications of granting
> `SYS_PTRACE` to CI which runs completely arbitrary loads, not to mention
> runners no longer run with `--privileged` after it was reported it breaks
> glib test suite as well.

Honestly, I don't tbh. I know that in Fedora, ptrace of your *own* processes
works by default, whereas ptrace of *other users'* processes requires sudo (for
CAP_SYS_PTRACE). asan only wants to ptrace its *own* processes, which seems
like it should be safe to do without any special capabilities, but doesn't work
on our CI (I assume because it uses docker)? I don't know why docker blocks it,
though. Are there special considerations inside containers?

I do know this used to work fine until a couple months ago.

> We likely can provide a burner VM with odd CAPs applied but I wish your
> request wasn't written in such a disheartening way in the first place.

So my plan is to propose a GNOME initiative to add asan CI to every core module
that uses C or C++, since asan is important to be confident in the security of
our code. That's hard to propose when it means no more CI for external
contributors, though.

Honestly, I don't understand your concern with the tone of my issue report, but
I didn't intend it to be mean. I think everyone really appreciates your work. :)

https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/Infrastructure/-/issues/370#note_865754
You're receiving this email because of your account on gitlab.gnome.org.