Hi.

I was having a discussion about GNOME at work last week about who wrote it;
My understanding was that
<https://staffowa.det.nsw.edu.au/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://en.wikiped
ia.org/wiki/Miguel_de_Icaza> Miguel de Icaza and
<https://staffowa.det.nsw.edu.au/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://en.wikiped
ia.org/wiki/Federico_Mena> Federico Mena wrote gnome in august 1997, with
red hat taking active interest/funding/development assistance in jan 1998.
But someone stated I was wrong; that GNU wrote GNOME. I dont have the full
answer, but i'm curious. I suspect Miguel and Federico started writing it
and then submitted it to GNU to add to the GNU Project. I found Miguel's
home page but it doesn't mention GNU (other than maybe the G in GNOME stands
for GNU). But I also found a page from GNU stating they started the project.

Could someone please confirm the origins for me and the relationship between
GNU and GNOME?

Thank you.