Ilya Shlyakhter wrote:
""A GNU program should not recommend, promote, or grant legitimacy to
the use of any non-free program."  I don't understand what "grant
legitimacy" means here.

Even the quote from the URL you supplied comes with other language that provide clear context which addresses your own question, as does the text indicating how nonfree software may be mentioned (which I quoted earlier in my first response to this thread).

You appear to have chosen the wrong definition of 'legitimate'. Consider "Conforming to known principles, or established or accepted rules or standards; valid." from https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/legitimate instead: Granting legitimacy to a nonfree program in GNU documentation includes stating something in a way that makes that nonfree program appear to be a reasonable and proper choice without any language explaining how proprietary software is unethical.

The principles of this definition are laid out for you not only in https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/References.html#References but in many essays on https://gnu.org/philosophy/ and many recordings on https://audio-video.gnu.org/.