I made some revisions I saw more fit! Thank you so much for making this
wonderful text! Merry Grav-mass
------------

T'was the night before Grav-mass, when all through the house, not a console was
stirring, not even stdout.

The sockets were all open, and kept with a care in hopes that St. Ignucious
soon would be there.

The hackers begrudgingly used vim and ed, while visions of free software danced
in their heads.

Mamma with UNIX, and I with my VAX, had just tried to compile a working termcap.

When on tty0 there arose such a clatter, I checked the syslog to hunt down the
hacker.

Switching to tty0 in such a flash, it looked as though the kernel might crash.

The text from the terminal's soft amber glow, got brighter and brighter as the
output would grow.

When what to my wondering eyes did appear, but a dialect of LISP so strange and
so queer.

Like a scruffy old hacker so lively and quick, I knew St. Ignucious was up to
his tricks.

>From his clever beguiling the software soon came, as he whistled and shouted
>the programs by name:

Now gzip, now Icecat, now Emacs and Bash! On Trisquel, on gNewSense, on Guix to
match!

Freedom Zero, Freedom One, Freedoms Two and Three! To modify, run, and share as
you please!

>From over the net, the programs did fly, and then they were mounted on my hard
>drive!

Within a few minutes, the system was GNU. Binaries, scripts, and source code
too.

And then as I watch, amazed and aloof, he surged through the modem, making a
poof.

As I fanned out the smoke and turned around, through the modem St. Iggy came
with a bound.

Dressed in khaki and red, and covered in soot, he curiously ate something off
of his foot.

A bundle of software he had on his back, and he looked like a peddler opening
his pack.

His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry! His cheeks were like roses,
his nose like a cherry!

His droll sheepish grin was drawn up like a bow, and the beard on his neck was
as thick as the snow;

A disk drive he placed on his head like a wreath, as he clenched a recorder
between his front teeth.

He had a broad face and quite a large belly, that shook when he laughed, like a
bowl full of jelly.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf, and I laughed when I saw him,
in spite of myself.

A wink of his eye and a cat|grep|awk|sed, soon gave me to know I had nothing to
dread.

He spoke not a word, but let out a smirk, opened his yeeloong and went straight
to work.

He hacked and compiled, though his yeeloong was slow. He finished his work,
then the socket was closed.

The free software song he sang with a whistle, then back through the modem he
flew like a missile

But I heard him exclaim, 'ere he flew out of sight — “Free Software for all,
each and every byte!”

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International
License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Adapted from the original by Vince Salvino.
------ Original message------From: Vince SalvinoDate: Mon, Dec 24, 2018 12:07
PMTo: gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org;Cc: Subject:A Visit From St. Ignucious

'Twas the night before Gav-Mas, when all through the house
Not a console was stirring, not even stdout;

The sockets were all kept open with care
In hopes that St. Ignucious soon would be there;

The hackers begrudgingly used vim and ed;
While visions of software danced in their heads;

Mamma with UNIX, and I with my VAX,
Had just tried to compile a working termcap.

When on tty0 there arose such a clatter,
I checked the syslog to hunt down the hacker.

Switching to tty0 in a flash,
It looked as though the kernel would crash.

The text from the terminal's soft amber glow,
Got brighter and brighter as the output would grow.

When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a dialect of lisp so strange and so queer,

With a scruffy old hacker so lively and quick,
I knew St. Ignucious was up to his tricks.

>From his clever beguiling the software soon came,
As he whistled and shouted the programs by name:

Now gzip, now icecat, now elisp and Emacs!
On Trisquel, on gNewSense, on GNU plus Linux!

Freedom Zero, Freedom One, Freedoms Two and Three!
To modify, run, and share as you please!

>From over the net, the programs did fly,
And then he mounted my main system drive;