Le mercredi 13 novembre 2019, 19:23:43 CET Kete via Discussions about the
   development of the GNU system a écrit :
   > I disagree that they betrayed RMS. I still like the Guix contributors,
   > probably even more now. Your systemd statement is confusing because they
   > made their own service program called shepherd.

   To be precise, GNU Shepherd is the continuation of an old init software
   originally called GNU DMD, written in Scheme, that was intended to provide
   init system to the Hurd before Guix and systemd existed (and happened to
   already provide some of the best features of systemd (like dependency
   graph, parallelism, etc.)

GNU dmd was never intended for the Hurd, it was far more general in
spirit.  One of the goals was that each user should be able to manage
daemons, and give back some of the closed garden that is the init
system.

I also don't think that shepherd is a better name, dmd far better
describes the intent Wolfgang and I had when we wrote and designed it.
Infact, most of the commands now make little sense...

  • Re: RMS: user... Alexander Vdolainen
    • Re: RMS:... Jean Louis
      • Re: ... Alexander Vdolainen
        • ... Jean Louis
        • ... Alexander Vdolainen
        • ... Svante Signell
        • ... Jean Louis
        • ... nipponmail
        • ... Kete via Discussions about the development of the GNU system
        • ... Alexandre François Garreau
        • ... Alfred M. Szmidt
        • ... Alexandre François Garreau
        • ... Jean Louis