Speaking as a user and not someone busting his butt on this, I hate the idea
of "unlimited" everything when we go to a DB. Most of our databases have a
mechanism (BLOB/CLOB) to store really big things, usually at the cost of
indexing or searching (other than with special hacks -- Oracle Text, for
example).

gnc is not, and should not be, a doc mgmt system. I want fast, fast
retrieval and summarization. Having a place to store a reference to a doc is
a great idea; plugging up the data with the docs, not so much.

Of course, it is unforgiveable to just drop rows. Even silently truncating
data is pretty dubious. Don't know Postgres and Mysql; can't we throw an
exception so we have a chance to do the right thing (what the user needs)?

I'd ask the developers to pick some reasonable size for each column. Then
publish the schema. Granted this is a big change from the unlimited
everything, but it seems necessary. If I don't like your column size, I
should be able to ALTER TABLE and set my own favorites, so please do not
hard-code the column sizes into the code.

Keith, Guelph