I've been watching with interest the messages flying by from various
people that confirm the impression (from just trying to build it) that
Gnucash has become a gigantic hairball. John Ralls has been saying a
number of things that sound smart (I'll tell you later where to send
the check, John) about design errors, problems in the data model,
etc., and has embarked upon a re-design. Christian has taken a similar
step back with Cutecash. Then there's the whole issue of the use of
Scheme. Much as I love the elegance of the language, I doubt that its
use is appropriate here, for all the reasons that we've discussed ad
nauseum.

So I'd like to suggest that perhaps none of the proposed ways-forward
are radical enough. I have little to no knowledge of Gnucash
internals. The only thing I know about the quality of the design and
the code is what I read from the people who are currently doing the
real work. But I do have many, many years of experience working and
managing projects of similar and greater complexity, and there are
times when you just have to cut your losses. Gnucash has been around
for a long time, and its life-span covers the development of a lot of
tools. If you were going to start with a blank sheet of paper today, I
doubt very much whether you would do a lot of the system as it is
today. The big question is, when is it worth it to cut your losses and
start over?

I don't know that Gnucash is at that point, but I'm suggesting that
you give this question very careful consideration, before doing
something incremental. Keep in mind that if you did start over, the
current system wouldn't be a total loss. I'm sure there is a lot of
value in things like accounting rules that it enforces, and other
knowledge embedded in the code. Some of it might be salvageable by
lifting parts of the code itself, or at least doing translations.
Other cases might involve just transferring knowledge of how to do
things and how not to do things. But I say don't throw good money
*possibly* (not definitely) after bad without at least considering
whether it's time for Gnucash II.

/Don