John,

following. If I do a new checkout and then build in an empty separate build
directory, wouldn't that avoid the problem? Where would the installed
libgnc* be that causes the problem that I would have to clear out? In
/usr/lib64/gnucash? If I change anything there, wouldn't that mess up the
Fedora installed gnucash package?

By the way, I'm getting the same problem on three separate systems: a
Fedora 24, a Fedora 25 and a Fedora 25 VM, so if it is some strange system
configuration I have, then I have it on three systems, not just one. I
think I'll try a new VM of Fedora 26 that just came out and see if it works
there.

Alex