Hello,

In my quixotic quest to try and get quote retrieval working again on my Mac,
I’ve been looking at ways to remove and reload all the Perl underlying
Finance::Quote. (As John noted to me recently, there isn’t any uninstall
command in CPAN, unfortunately). In this process, I ran into numerous
discussions online that strongly recommend *against* invoking CPAN with root
privileges for reasons I don’t quite understand [beyond the generic ‘don’t run
things as root’], and with solutions I also don’t quite understand. My level of
understanding notwithstanding, the advice is unambiguous.

In the course of this process, I opened up gnc-fq-update, and see immediately
that it wants CPAN run with root access. Is this necessary? Given what I’ve
read online, is this advised?

I ask out of curiousity, and to learn more.

David