Success.

I have a running copy of unstable.   That it took this long is at least in part
because I’ve only had part time to attend to it.  Also, for the first few weeks
I didn’t realize that when my display was going to sleep, the entire build
process was stopping, so nothing was happening unattended.

Anyhow, now that I have it running not everything is behaving as expected.
Which is to be expected, given that it is unstable.  Is there a list of known
issues that I should add to if I find things not there?  I don’t want to just
add noise, but if I’ve found things that folks aren’t aware of that should not
stick around beyond release, I’d like to be noting them.

And finally, what is the recommended method of profiling?  Back in the day I
compiled -pg and used gprof.  I liked it for its ability to give times for both
routines and their descendants.   Is that still the tool of choice?