On 16/04/2018 17:40, Geert Janssens wrote:
Op maandag 16 april 2018 12:33:53 CEST schreef Robert Fewell:
Just trying to get myself straight for going forward.
maint is now for bug fixes on version 3.0
master is for new stuff that would go into 4.0 but may be backported to 3.x
if appropriate

Mostly. We normally don't "backport". If something is wanted on maint, it
should be committed to maint first and merged into master afterwards.

A real backport should only happen if that was forgotten, but that should
really be an exception.

Bob probably didn't *really* mean "backport". My guess is he's just trying to work out what master | maint | 3.0 | 3.x | something else mean now in ordinary terms.

I can't figure it out either.

Is master version 3.99, it appears to be 3.0 still and does show the build
warning ?

Not 3.99. With the new numbering scheme it should become 3.900, leaving us
with 99 beta release numbers before 4.0.

I'd like to join Bob and say I'm also not understanding this.

I think what I am asking is:

could you please relate the git commands to versions people understand.

Maybe Bob was asking something different, if so, my apols to him.

--
Wm