Jeffrey,

I tend to keep the stable release installed under /usr/local. If I have any
unstable or work in progress versions I install them under /opt or under my
home directory as John suggests in another reply. I usually set up aliases
tagged with a version number or some other identifier pointing to the
executables for each version
(http://www.hostingadvice.com/how-to/set-command-aliases-linuxubuntudebian/).

You don' really need to set up a VM for running different versions of
GnuCash. That is more useful if you need to run or develop under different
operating systems or variants (Linux, Mac , Windows, Gentto Fedora etc) for
testing or if you are working on the development of different versions of
the program where you may need to have different versions of libraries
installed for each program version.

David

-----
David Cousens