On 24/02/2019 03:12, David Cousens wrote:
Wm

You could have a startup script which copied a common user config file for
GnuCash from a backup or other central location to each users home directory
and then copied it back on exit.

On Linux the files would be those in the directories:

/home/<user>/.local/share/gnucash  (all user data)
/home/<user>/.config/gnucash          (gnucash config data)
/home/<user>/.local/share/gtk-3.0    (gtk data)
/home/<user>/.config/gtk-3.0           (gtk config)

On Windows they should be in

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GnuCash or
c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\gtk-3.0

OR

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash
c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\gtk-3.0

Don't know enough about Windoze anymore to know which set is most likely to
be used but this link has an explanation
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/appdata-roaming-vs-local/

If you only wanted to back up the reports not just all user data, you could
just backup the
saved-reports-<x>.<y> from the requisite directories and just restore that
file from a backup or other central copy stored with the main book file.

It is a lot more complicated than you think.

Let me open this part of the discussion by saying:

Does gnc know where it took stuff from and placed it when 3.x was run for the first time?

We know this was a one way change but were the from and to locations known about and recorded?

I think they weren't all known about and recorded and gnc has contributed to actual data loss. <-- not something I ever wanted to say as this was warned about and avoidable. The warnings were ignored.

--
Wm