> On Jul 23, 2019, at 6:42 AM, Rosi Dimova via gnucash-devel
> <gnucash-devel@gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Hello developers,
>
> My name is Rosi Dimova and I am the translator of GnuCash into Bulgarian.
> This translation would never become real without the help of my friends -
> Alexander Shopov as an editor and Mila Petrova as a consultant.
>
> Since 2013 I used to work in ocean transport for containerised goods as liner
> agent and then as a freight-forwarder. Recently I started to prepare couple
> of presentations to keep record of my operational experience. Than it
> occurred to me that we do not have a good and reliable software for freight
> forwarding companies since many years. One of the main reasons is the lack of
> understanding of the process. Programmers usually don’t have knowledge how
> the bill of lading is acting as a document of title. Managers usually do not
> explain it well, because they are focused on other functions of the software.
> And people in operations just don’t have the word. Also, I’m tired of reading
>  “experts’ opinions” on the Internet that don’t even touch the good practice
> in the real world. The best software I ever used is working under AS400. But
> it doesn’t meet the up-to-date needs.
>
> I think if a module could be added to GnuCash, it would make it valuable for
> small freight-forwarding companies. Because they are under lot of tension in
> this highly competitive market. By connecting GnuCash functionality and
> process of issue of ocean bill of lading many modern technologies might find
> an answer how to secure the transfer of ownership over commodities, like
> smart contracts and other git-based solutions.
>
> I know it is a hard work and actually never took part in software
> development. But I want this solution to be under GNU GPL. GnuCash has the
> necessary accounting features. This is why I am contacting you. It’s just an
> idea and would like to hear your comments - do you think it is worth to
> connect it with GnuCash or it should be separate product? Would you like to
> participate in this product and how exactly, if you do? I don’t expect you to
> embrace the idea full-time and right away. But if someone is interested, I’d
> have a stronger motivation to go further and even try and find funding.
>
> If you know someone who is looking for an idea for programming as a course
> work, it will also do. Feel free to share my e-mail to such person, I’ll find
> a time to explain what is this and why is it like that and not the other way.
> First presentation is ready, may be too fancy. But it’s my first try on a
> tablet and still learning how to use it and testing it’s capabilities.

That would be *way* out of scope for GnuCash. The only effect on accounting is
when the change in ownership of the inventory is booked. Deciding that is
completely external to GnuCash, which doesn't even do cost accounting for WIP
inventory. It might be in scope for an ERP program like odoo
(https://www.odoo.com/) that does do cost accounting, but even that's doubtful
and most of an ERP suite wouldn't be useful to a freight forwarder. (I used to
be the production control manager at an integrated circuit manufacturer so I
have a small understanding of international shipping.)

You might invert the problem, though, and use GnuCash as the accounting backend
for a stand-alone shipping management program.

Regards,
John Ralls