On 4 Feb 2020, at 6:21, Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

That's a good point.  In the future, F::Q might also be able to
respect the API fetching limits across multiple calls, and then this
would add an additional delay.  That could be fixed by properly timing
this while loop.  As for sleeping for different times in the loop for
those with an AlphaVantage subscription, how could that be done?  Do
you know how F::Q knows about this?  I can see that you can currently
buy 30, 120, 300, 600, or 1200 API requests per minute.  Should there
be a GnuCash user setting for this, that is then used by the while
loop in this perl script?

I don't think this should be a GNuCash configuration option. Right now AlphaVantage tells the caller if too many requests have been made in too short a time, but it doesn't return information about how many are too many. F::Q recognizes this error return and delays the next call. It is pretty stupid about how long to delay. If AlphaVantage returned more information about how fast is too fast it could be smarter about it. Unless this is changed in AlphaVantage I don't think thee is much that could usefully be done about this.

            Mike