John
Something must be wrong with the syntax you suggested. Since I don't know my jhbuild at all, I don't know how to fix this.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/jlaroche/Source/jhbuild/jhbuild/config.py", line 194, in load
    execfile(filename, config)
  File "/Users/jlaroche/.config/jhbuildrc", line 462, in <module>
    execfile(_user_rc)
  File "/Users/jlaroche/.config/jhbuildrc-custom", line 54
module_cmakeargs["boost"] = "-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=" . os.environ["CXXFLAGS"] . " -std=c++17"

                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
jhbuild: could not load config file