Thanks John

That was indeed the problem. Downgrading libmysqlclient21 from
8.0.21ubuntu0.20.04.3 to 8.0.19-0ubuntu5 (sudo aptitude
install libmysqlclient21=8.0.19-0ubuntu5) did the trick as per this bug report
on Ubuntu re the opencv package,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/opencv/+bug/1890170 . 4.1 then built
from the tarball with no problems.

Apparently on LM/Ubuntu aptitude is a better choice for downgrading than apt
since it doesnt attempt to uninstall
dependencies. This was from a 2012 post so that problem with apt may have been
addressed by now.

Cheers

David