David,

Please look again. The metadata file that John referred me to is *exactly*
the same one as in the FAQ.

I was just able to solve the problem a few minutes ago by deleting the
registry information under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/Gsettings. That was
where the problem was. I did not try to identify precisely which registry
key was at fault, I do not have sufficient knowledge of the software to do
so efficiently. Instead I uninstalled, deleted the registry info, manually
deleted the %appdata%/gnucash folder for good measure, then reinstalled.

And, because this bug (and it is a bug) affects literally every book on the
machine, I will have to grab another machine here that I am not using for
production, install GnuCash, and try to replicate it there so I can submit
a proper bug report.

Thanks,

Scott