> On Jul 6, 2017, at 11:31 AM, David Carlson <david.carlson....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I am confused about field names.  Is that new message in the
> description field instead of the current data or is it actually in the Notes
> field where the previous message was prepended to the FI note?
>
> David C
>
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM, David Carlson <david.carlson....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> John,
>
> Does that mean that when users download files from their financial
> institutions and import them offline they will always get that message in the
> description field?
>
> I would prefer "OFX ext. info: |Trans type:Generic debit|Memo:" as before,
> unless an option is added to even suppress that text.
>
> David C
>
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 12:42 PM, John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 5, 2017, at 2:47 PM, John Vermeer <joh...@juno.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since upgrading to Gnucash 2.6.17 I am seeing the string "Point of sale
> > debit or credit (Note: Depends on signage of amount)" appended to the
> > description field of all my OFX transactions. I have aqbanking bringing
> > most transactions directly from my credit union.
> >
> > This exact string is found in
> > https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/src/import-export/ofx/gnc-ofx-import.c
> >  [line 107]. But I am not certain that that is where it is coming from. I
> > suppose that my credit union could also be appending the string.
> >
> > This is happening in a home compiled Linux version as well as under Gnucash
> > installed in Windows 10.
> >
> > Is this a new feature? Or, possibly, a bug?
>
> It's a new feature [1] that was supposed to apply only to HBCI, so there's an
> option to enable it on the HBCI import dialog but not the OFX one where it's
> enabled by default.

David,

It's not always that particular string; it depends on what type the financial
institution tags the transaction with. For example when I pulled in my credit
card this morning the descriptions all began with "Generic debit;".

This new misbehavior happens only with AQBanking, which doesn't and hasn't ever
populate the Notes field. The OFX/QFX file importer inserts the "OFX ext. info"
string into the Notes field.

Regards,
John Ralls