> On Aug 12, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Fred Weihs <fwe...@fweihs.ca> wrote:
>
> I have just installed GnuCash as a replacement in Linux for Quick Cash
> Manager which I used under Windows. I will need to download transactions from
> my Canadian financial institution. When I check the process for downloading
> into GnuCash, the directory of financial institutions to connect with are all
> American. Can I download from a Canadian institution?

Maybe. There are two ways to download and import data: The easier one is if
your bank provides a download option on its website to download transactions as
OFX, QFX, or QIF. Do that and then use File>Import>OFX/QFX or File>Import>QIF
to import the downloaded file into GnuCash. The other method is to use
OnlineBanking, which is provided by a separately-developed facility called
AQBanking. In order for that to work your bank must support a protocol called
OFX-DirectConnect and you must be able to obtain the necessary information and
credentials to tell GnuCash how to connect. More information on the latter
method may be found at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_GnuCash_2
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_GnuCash_2>.

Regards,